Improving Brain Health is important for many to strive for. Life challenges can not only increase stress, but they can also causing mental tiredness. Self improvement tools can help and come in physical forms (a self help book, having a massage, painting with water colors), or spiritual in nature (flower essences, Reiki, meditation which is both physical and spiritual, etc).
Five of the best self help options that I’ve used successfully to help soothe my own mind, body and spirit, are:
1. Meditation techniques – a fabulous self help tool which greatly benefits brain health and well-being. There are many techniques to choose from such as:
Visually guided meditations, Candle meditation, Breathing meditation, Crystal meditation, Writing meditation, Walking meditation, Body scanning, and a self healing meditation using either color, breathe work, aromatherapy, etc.
2. Painting with water colors, pastels or oil paints – express your uniqueness through art. This is a wonderful self help tool to employ for inner healing, letting go and for creating something new (a masterpiece for your lounge room wall).
3. Vibrational essences. Part of ancient wisdom, vibrational essences are used in healing to assist with the removal of emotional blocks and patterns, as well as resolving issues from past lives.
Essences are generally in liquid form and can also be used in creams, ointments and oils (I sometimes combine mine with an aromatherapy oil blend).
Vibrational substances are derived from light (sun, moon etc), healing energy (universal or spiritual energy, prana, Reiki etc), plants (flowers, stems, leaf etc), mineral (crystals, gold etc), environmental (sacred places), or animal.
Some examples of essences available (there are many) to explore further as a self help tool are: Flower, Gem, Angel, Shell, Coral, Sea, Goddess, and Chakra essences.
4. Journal writing is a fabulous self help healing tool connecting you with your true essence, your spiritual self. It allows you to do a dump of all the worries and challenges that clog the brain.
Find yourself a special journal/diary to write in; something special to write with (can be brightly colored inks or the more traditional black, blue or reds) and make a date with yourself to do some journal writing every morning at the same time (before rising out of bed).
I’ve practiced journal writing as a self help tool for many years and still find it, to this day, one of the greatest self help and self improvement tools around – and it costs nothing!
Write out your worries, sadness, loneliness, or whatever is playing on your mind. When you’ve done that write in your journal the excitement, enthusiasm and passion you intend to experience for the day ahead, the projects you’re working on, friends you’ll catch up with, food you’ll eat, possible miracles that might happen, shopping to be done, your work day etc.
5. Body massage. Treat yourself to some bodywork like a Swedish massage. Swedish is a more traditional or western soft tissue type of massage, however if you’re after something a little more unique for healing mind, body, and spirit you could choose:
Aromatherapy massage – there’s nothing quite like this one using essential oils for body, mind and spirit.
Ka Huna, LomiLomi – gentle, relaxing, soothing and stretching massage (even watching this massage is relaxing);
Reflexology – therapeutic hand and foot massage;
Reiki – hands on energy healing (aligns Chakras etc)
Vichy Shower – warm water is directed over your body, gently massaging it (this is heavenly, especially after a salt scrub).
Acupressure – form of bodywork based on Chinese Meridian theory
Ayurvedic – part of a traditional detoxification and rejuvenation program of India called Panchakarma – vigorious massage with warm oils and herbs to remove toxins, is calming and balancing, and facilitates profound inner peace.
Hot stone massage – warm smooth stones are applied to the body and employed by the therapist’s hands.
Swedish massage – small smooth rocks are held in either hand and at the end of the massage the therapist holds your feet for tuning.
There are many self help tools out there for you to discover. So, on your amazing journey to better mental health, try one of these calming meditative techniques to help renew yourself.